Books I've Read Since Summer 2011

  • Boy by Roald Dahl
  • Breaking Dawn by Stephanie Meyers
  • Crank by Ellen Hopkins
  • Eclipse by Stephanie Meyers
  • Harry Potter # 1 by JK Rowling
  • How To Save A Life by Sara Zarr
  • Kiki Stike Inside Shadow City by Kirsten Miller
  • Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe by CS Louis
  • Macbeth by Shakespeare
  • New Moon by Stephanie Meyers
  • Stiches by David Smalls
  • The BFG by Roald Dahl
  • The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahari
  • Twilight by Stephanie Meyers
  • What My Boyfriend Doesn't Know by Sonya Sones
  • What My Mother Doesn't Know by Sonya Sones
  • Witches by Roald Dahl

Letter re: Romeo and Juliet

Dear Sofia,

In class we just started reading Romeo and Juliet. The book is pretty confusing so far because Shakespeare uses many complicated phrases and such but thats ok because I've been using the No Fear Shakespeare books and Sparknotes. Using that, I think the plot is very touching and in the book there are so many symbols and things that represent issues and other things. There are many things that I've noticed in the book.

One thing that I've noticed is that the lifestyle thats happening in the time period of Romeo and Juliet is very different then ours. Juliet is supposed to have an arranged marriage with Paris at the age of only 13. In our generation there can be arranged marriages but defenitly not that young. Also in the book, Romeo and Juliet don't say a single word to each other but know that they both are in love, and the first time they actually do converse is when Juliet is on her balcony saying how in love she is with Romeo. In our generation, we actually get to know the person and then fall in love, but for Romeo and Juliet its love at first sight.

Something else that I've noticed is that the main issue is love and hate. The love between Romeo and Juliet is very strong and strong enough to leave family but Romeo and Juliet's family hate each other so Shakespeare definilty shows how hard it is for both of them to leave there familys and get married. That also shows the strength of their love.

In general I think the book is very deep and good and very intriguing but when I'm reading the orignal book I do zone out because I dont really understand whats happening. But the story line is great!

- Love Pooja

No comments:

Post a Comment